INSTRUCTIONAL GOALS: In this class, students will learn how to shoot film with a manual 35mm camera, develop the film and print photos in a dark room. The goal is to learn about taking care of each element and step of a process in order to get good results in the end. Photography teaches us to look with the intention of finding. It teaches us to see ordinary things in a new way. It gives meaning to what we thought was meaningless. We will do both film and digital photography as well as studio and location photography and color as well as black and white.
At the end of this course, you will
- know… how to meter light through a camera lense, developing black and white film, print photos in a dark room.
- be able to… determine good light conditions for black and white photography, frame and compose photos to increase visual appeal, develop and print photographs.
- understand… how light and darkness create effects, how shutter speeds and apertures affects exposure and depth of field.
To successfully complete this course, you must be a team player, keep a positive attitude, respect your environment and your peers. You must come to class every day and on time in order to be able to complete the assignments. The course moves quickly, so every absence will need to be made up.
Students will “rent” a film camera for the entire semester. You will need your smart phone for the digital photography section of the course. the school will prove computers and editing software. The school will also provide all of the film, chemicals, paper, binders, page holders and frames.
We will start the semester doing Studio Film Photography. Once the weather gets nicer, we will shoot “on location”.
Unit 1 - Shoot, develop, print.
Unit 2 - Shadows, Silhouettes, contrast
Unit 3 - Depth of Field
Unit 4 - Shutter Speeds
Unit 5 - Rule of thirds
Unit 6 - Texture
Unit 7 - Focal points
Unit 8 - Framing
Unit 9 - Portraits
Unit 10 - Vantage point
Unit 11 - Vernissage
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
The class will be expected to maintain appropriate behavior with regard to respecting themselves, their peers, their superiors as well as their classroom. Failure to be respectful will result in a discipline referral and/or detention.
Smart Phone use is not allowed in class UNLESS the teacher specifically asks students to use it for class purposes.
Laptops must be signed out on the chart on the cart.
- Daily attendance 10%
- Class participation 40%
- Summative assignments: Photos you turn 30%
- Midterm: Written test /Finals: Vernissage with your best 3 entries 20%
- Extra Credit points will be given each day for handing in smart phones to the charging station.